Wednesday, March 19, 2014

What If I logged Off

More than Cheese and Beer has a new weekly writing prompt. We're supposed to write for about 5 to 10 minutes on the given topic.

Martin Luther King Jr said:

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it."

I am a Facebook activist. Say what you want about the laziness inherent in posting articles and sharing statuses about politics, feminism, and equality, but for now, it's all I've got. I don't have the money to travel the distance to participate in protests and marches. Plus, quite honestly, I don't have anyone to watch the 17 animals I live with while I travel around doing such things. So, at least at this point in my life, I can share articles, debate topics with others, sign petitions, use my vote wisely, and email politicians.

Yes, that means I am that annoying Facebook friend who clouds your feed with articles you probably don't care about or that make you angry because you NEED MORE CAT MEMES RIGHT NOW.

If I logged off, I wouldn't be able to do that any longer. I wouldn't be able to sway anyone's opinion on any important issue or learn from the friends I have who are more versed in topics I'm only beginning to explore. Instead, I would live out my existence in a state of ignorance, tending my garden, raising my kid and be blissfully unaware of the sour state of things in this nation.

I'm still of the belief that you're supposed to be the change you want to see in the world, though.

Being blissfully unaware and allowing this downward spiral to continue without even the hint of a fight would probably send me on my own decline. That loss of passion means complicity, and what's the point of life if I spend it giving in?

So, fuck it. I will never shut up.




MoreThanCheeseandBeer

1 comment:

  1. Never shut up!!

    It's the uncomfortable subjects that need to be broached and the things that divide us we need to discuss.

    Thank you for being that person :-)

    ReplyDelete